MonoVision is an outstanding alternative in bifocal-type contact lenses. In this system, one eye is focused for faraway and the other eye is focused for close. This can be done with any type of contact lens at this time.
This may sound unusual – but such well-known people as Johnny Carson, former Governor Richard Lamm, and former Presidents Reagan & Carter all use this system. Dr. Baron also wears MonoVision very successfully.
It is easy to use contact lenses in this way. You don’t have to use two pair of glasses, putting them on and off. Nor do you have to adapt to bifocals – no age revealing lines! Soft lenses are easy to adapt to and work very well.
We like to go slowly in helping our patients decide on this alternative. Initially we discuss with you all the pros and cons. Then we have you try out, first, a pair of trial MonoVision glasses in our office. If that seems an acceptable alternative, we let you experience what contact lenses are like – how they feel, and how you see with them. If you are pleased with the contact lenses, we will pursue their use and care.
We have hundreds of patients happily using the MonoVision system.
|It works very well for 80% to 90% of the patient’s needs. For the other 10% to 20%, such as night driving, some patients require a pair of glasses to wear over the contact lenses to balance both eyes, so that they see approaching headlights clearly, rather than one clearly and the other “haloed.”Several of our patients who are bookkeepers, accountants, lawyers and secretaries have adjusted well to using the MonoVisioncontact lenses.Thus, MonoVision contact lenses are the prime source of vision aid, with glasses occasionally used for very specific needs.|
If you need to close your eye that is not doing the task, just for second to program your brain which eye is doing what, that is OK. So, if you are reading and still adapting, for a second or two close your distance eye. But, do not continue for very long. You need to learn to do this electronically with your brain.
Set your near oriented world more to the near MonoVision side of your body. So, if your right eye is set near, then move your reading or monitor to the right side. It will assist with the adaptation.
Wear your contacts more than you would routinely, to help program your best computer and input (your brain and eyes).
Be aware of night vision driving, one headlight will be clear and one will be blurred with the near MonoVision eye. Give this some time, we can fix if necessary with night vision glasses, but we postpone that as most patients adapt.
Relax, it does take time to adapt or change the way you see.
Focus on what you CAN SEE!